The following sections give you a guided installation process of Ace SSL VPN / OpenVPN on Microsoft Windows operating system.
If you are prompted that the driver has not passed Windows Logo testing, click on Continue anyway.
- Install OpenVPN
- Create password file
- Run OpenVPN as administrator if you are running Windows 7 or Vista
Downloading and Starting Installation
Download the latest version of the Ace OpenVPN to your local drive. Double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation. If the installation does not start, make sure you are logged in on your PC as administrator or privileged user.
By default Ace VPN program installs to C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\.
The OpenVPN installer will prompt to install TAP-Win32 Adapter V9, a device driver for network services used by OpenVPN. Hit “Continue Anyway” to continue the installation.
While AceVPN is installing, you can read its output in the installation window and follow the creation of folders, files, and shortcuts and the installation of drivers (TAP) for networking.
You have successfully installed Ace VPN client on your Windows system.
When Setup Wizard is completed, a OpenVPN folder and connection shortcut will appear in your Start Menu Programs folder.
Connect to Ace VPN by following these steps
- Download password file from Members Area and save the file to a temporary folder (eg. C:\temp).
- Now copy this file to C:\Program Files
\OpenVPN\config\acevpn-pass.txt (or C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\acevpn-pass.txt on 32bit Windows). Click on Copy and Replace if the file exists.
- If you are running Windows 7 or Vista – Right click on OpenVPN GUI application, select Properties > Compatibility tab, check on Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level.
- Go to Start > All Programs > OpenVPN and click on OpenVPN GUI
- Go to the system tray (bottom right where the clock is), right-click on the OpenVPN icon, and click on acevpn-premium-udp-faster or the connection profile of your choice.
- If your firewall prompts you to allow the connection, click “Yes”
- You should now be connected to AceVPN. Go to Ace VPN homepage to confirm you have the new IP address
To disconnect from Ace VPN
- Right-click on the OpenVPN systray icon
- Click on Disconnect (or acevpn > Disconnect)
- You’re now disconnected from Ace VPN
Further Notes for Windows Vista and Windows 7
You need to run OpenVPN as Administrator: Right click on the OpenVPN GUI application (e.g. C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn-gui-1.0.3.exe, select “Run as Administrator” to run the program. To permanently change the privilege for running the OpenVPN GUI application, right click on OpenVPN GUI application, select Properties > Compatibility tab, check on Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level and restart OpenVPN.
If you have trouble copying the password file to C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\ please Disable UAC and try again.
Please refer the forum for instructions Auto start on boot
Re-installation / Update Servers
Download Ace SSL VPN Configuration files
Openvpn Download: http://my.acevpn.com/acevpn/download/openvpn-2.2.2-install.exe
Click here to download the vpn configuration files
Download Ace SSL VPN Client Source Code
Click here to download the source code for the Ace SSL VPN Client for free.
Please check the Troubleshooting VPN page for most common errors and solutions.
Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or higher, Windows Server 2003 or higher